Registered users
Username:
Password:

Log me on automatically next visit?

» Forgot password
» Registration

Random image

All Labour In Vain Public House
All Labour In Vain Public House
Comments: 0
Martin Goldstraw




Commemorative Stone
Commemorative Stone

            

Commemorative Stone
Description: The Aqueduct Primitive Methodist Chapel Commemorative Stone.

To accommodate the growing number of Methodist worshipers, a Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1850 in what became Chapel Lane, Aqueduct. Originally part of the Wrockwardine Wood circuit, later transferred to the Dawley circuit before finally becoming part of the Madeley circuit, the chapel enjoyed a fully operational status until 1917 but from then until 1920 it hosted only occasional special church services. During the ensuing years the building was used for purposes other than religious services and was finally demolished around 1972/3.

In 1978 the inscription stone from the chapel was removed to Blists Hill Museum where it lay uncatalogued in the stone mason’s yard and would probably have remained there had it not been spotted in 2008 by a member of the Britannia Aqueduct Historical Society. Society members considered the stone an important part of Aqueduct’s history and were concerned about its survival in its then present location. Representation was made to The Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust and in 2009 the stone was officially given over to the Britannia Aqueduct Historical Society, with a view to
finding a suitable location for its installation. Several local institutions were approached by the
Society with a request to install the stone within their buildings but with no success so it was
decided that a brick and stone enclosure should be made and permission sought to find a suitable
outdoor site.

Early in 2011, the Society members learned that they had been successful with their submission for
funding from Telford and Wrekin Council’s “Pounds for Projects” competition thus prompting
work to start on the design of a secure enclosure for the stone and the application to Telford and
Wrekin’s Planning Department for permission to build it in a position close to Chapel Lane. Help was sought of Dawley Hamlets Parish Council to steer the Society through the planning application, help which was readily given and much appreciated and resulting in permission being given in October 2011.

The building work was undertaken by members of the Britannia Aqueduct Historical Society and
the stone installed in its new enclosure in January 2012. Of concern to the Society was the ongoing requirement for third party insurance cover for the new structure, particularly the continuation of cover in the event of the Society ceasing to operate. Once again the members of Dawley Hamlets Parish Council showed their generosity by agreeing to the Society “gifting“ the structure to the Parish and thereby removing the burden of insurance and any ongoing maintenance.

The stone is located on the grass verge alongside the Silkin Way at the point where it is crossed by
Chapel Lane, Aqueduct. Ref. SJ694058.
Keywords:  
Date: 17.01.2012 15:04
Hits: 7975
Downloads: 0
Rating: 1.09 (362 Vote(s))
File size: 35.6 KB
Added by: Martin Goldstraw


Author: Comment:
There are no comments for this image



   Next image:
Remembrance 2013

 


RSS Feed: Commemorative Stone (Comments)

4images templates